The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Friday 14 September 2012

We are so spoilt.


Westerners are so spoilt.

 
We are 2 days away from Saigon, or Ho Chi Min City. The bottom of Vietnam is poor and full of roadside rubbish, but the people are friendly as always, sometimes too friendly and it can get too much. What I am impressed with, is the children. They are so happy and unspoiled. So many of them ride adult bikes that are too big for them. They can hardly touch the pedals, yet they dub their little brothers or sisters or even their grandmothers around as though they do it every day. It makes me ashamed of our western children who are so spoilt and always want more.

Two girls on a bike.
 

Actually the children here are a delight, always yelling out ‘allo’, sometimes desperately, as if they are scared you haven’t heard them. They are beautiful and a delight to watch. A teenage girl  yesterday, tried to sell me a pen that she had covered and embroidered – how very enterprising. I think they are taught at school to say ‘Allo, what is your name”. As they all say it to us. They giggle like mad when you respond to them. I am often rude to bad drivers and being tooted at for no reason, but I always try to be nice and respond to the children.

Nha Trang from our hotel restaurant.
 

The rainy season has started and we are getting rained on a fair bit now. But actually we like it. It reduces the temperature. The other day we were riding along and the road was bone dry, and there was a curtain of rain in the road just ahead of us, it was so heavy it was bouncing back off the road, but we were dry at least until we hit that curtain of rain.


In Ho Chi Min City we have to get our visa for Cambodia, we are not too sure where to go to get it and how long it will take, hopefully it will be easy, and we will pass over into Cambodia, where I’m sure the children will be just as unspoilt.   

No comments:

Post a Comment