The Greater San Fransisco Area

Continuing my quest to travel the world.

It has been my quest to cycle around the world for a very long time, although I have ticked off 16 countries to date, I still haven't achieved the ultimate goal of cycling the world. I cannot wait any longer for the conditions to be perfect, age is catching up with me, so it is now or never.

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia

picture drawn by Jim my Step - Father on our trip across Australia
After our trip to Vietnam in 2012.

Sunday 23 October 2011

Life after Rugby

I've finally reduced my hours of work, so that I can put more time into the garden. You know in a weird sort of way, going to work is actually my weekend. As I'm forced into inactivity. My days off are so physical and I never rest until I'm too exhausted to move. I've wanted this for a long time.
Actually here in New Zealand, the nation is transfixed by the rugby world cup final. Momentous things are happening in the world, but it pales in significance with the 'big game' on.

All Black Isreal Dagg in full flight.


Libya is free of Qaddafi - that is stupendous news. I wish the people of Libya a violence free and happy future.

The little Chinese 3 year old that got repeatedly run over and lay dieing and bleeding on the road while a dozen people walked passed her, has died. What does that tell you about society today. Why are people so uncaring? 

Then there's the Rena cargo ship off Tauranga - leaking oil into the environment. There was a clip on TV about a women complaining that she couldn't go out onto the beach to go swimming as she always does. What about the wildlife? Dying horrible deaths clogged in thick oil?



What do we hear about the governments response? The Prime Minister says things take time, and he more concerned about getting the ships owners to pay for it. The leader of the Opposition actually rolls his sleeves up and gets cleaning - kudos to him. The Greens moan and complain, but have they actually done anything to help? Not that I've seen

It's the General Election next month. All the politicians are completely out of touch with ordinary people. Well actually so are the petty local councillors. They need to get on bicycles. Then they just might see: Firstly how the ordinary person gets around. Cars are too expensive to use. Secondly how horrendous the traffic is, and how dangerous drivers are to cyclists [ and Vespa riders]. And thirdly that NZ is green but NOT clean.





Everyone has there own ideas on politics and politicians, and I'm not going to try to persuade anyone. In my opinion: National are very self righteous ans have worsened NZ's debt. Labour have some good ideas, but have no charisma. Green's have great ideals, but do not life by their convictions. Promoting having children in an over populated world, and driving 4 wheel drives - usually with a Greenpeace sticker on the bumper. The minor parties for one reason or another, are hard to take seriously. As you can see, I don't know who to vote for. I'm certainly going to vote, you've got no right to complain if you don't.

Personally I can't wait to extend my vege patch again to plant some more seed potatoes. And I must find the chicken, she has disappeared which can only mean one thing she has built a nest and is sitting on some eggs. Her nest's are notoriously hard to find, two have been in the middle of Pampas grasses, and one has been in the roots of a Macrocarpa hedge and one has been inside the ivy of an ivy covered bank. I think she does it on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment